You must be aware of the fact that solar energy has become very popular across the world? Not only this, but it will clearly continue to be an essential renewables option in the coming decades.
So, do you think just putting the solar panels in your space would be enough? Apart from using solar energy, it is also important to store solar energy as solar energy cannot be produced in absence of the sun.
Solar energy is now a preferable source of energy for large industrial applications. Being a renewable source of energy, scientists and researchers are looking for ways to make the best out of it
With the help of some specific methods, you can use solar energy by converting it into numerous usable forms like heat, electricity and a lot more.
Solar panels or cells are used for the generation of solar energy. The energy generated by the solar cells can be stored with the help of solar batteries (as electrochemical potential) or Supercapacitors (as an electric field). This stored energy can be thus later on used at the required times.
Solar energy storage methods
Solar energy can be generated easily with the help of photovoltaic cells or power systems. The energy can be stored primarily with two methods:
1) Battery banks –
Several batteries connected in parallel or series connections are commonly used to store solar energy. It stores the solar energy from the solar panel and uses it when required.
2) Grid intertie– This basically acts like a battery in a different manner. This converts the DC current energy source into AC current energy source with the help of an inverter.
The solar energy can be stored with the battery bank. It is used to store electricity generated by the PV solar system. In a grid-tied PV system with battery backup, a battery solar power storage system is used.
3) Solar batteries- These are used for the storage of the solar energies produced by the solar panels. Sometimes, there can be an integrated inverters with solar batteries. There can be various options for solar batteries to choose from. One can choose from the following types of storage batteries:
- Lithium ion– Most popular for home storage purposes as they have a long life span and are compact. Although these are expensive but are light in weight and durable in nature.
- Lead acid- These batteries are good for short runs as they have the shortest life span. But for someone trying to store energy on budget, it is a great option.
Apart from these common storage practices for solar energy, there are some advanced methods as well that can be used to store solar energy. These are mentioned below in detail:
- Using hydrogen: Converting solar energy to hydrogen is the second option that you can choose in order to store solar energy for later use. This is the other new advancement that you can try regarding which you only have to convert and transform solar energy into hydrogen. Now some of you might be thinking about how solar energy is converted? To convert the energy into hydrogen, a simple process is followed in which the key ingredient is water. The process is started with water after which you can break this main component into its elemental version form. And at last, the hydrogen is collected right in a tank which is then burnt all night.
Researchers are working on this concept due to which it’s quite possible that there can be some advancements in this process. Thus, if any developments take place, then we will let you know. Not only this, but it is estimated that this project will like to be spreading to the domestic region due to which the residential users will be able to store solar energy conveniently.
- By transforming into heat: The other option to store solar energy is to convert and transform the captured solar energy into heat. You can keep and store this energy in the thermal storage tanks. Let us tell you that there are some firms that are working on this concept and some have built and made several solar plants that keep and store extra energy in the form of molten salt which then absorb and withstand extremely high temperatures without changing the molten state.
How is solar energy stored in plants?
Sun is the ultimate source of energy, this is what we all know. But how is this energy stored in the plants? If you are wondering the same, then we can dig into the deeper details.
Plants as animals require energy for their physiological functions. Sun is the only source of energy for the plants. The sunlight can be converted into a form of energy by the plants with the help of a specific process known as photosynthesis.
Yes, they convert light energy into chemical energy. So, how does this happen? Can it happen eventually or at a sudden? There are a series of steps in the process of photosynthesis.
Basically, there are two kinds of reactions involved in the complete process. These are the energy transduction (light reaction) and carbon fixation reactions (dark reaction).
How do plants use energy? This is the basic question that can come into the mind. There are two energy transporting molecules for the plants – ATP and NADPH. The special pigmented molecules named as chlorophyll molecules are excited and release high energy electron. After the process, there occurs a chain of reaction and the last molecule in the chain to form is NDPH, which is the source of energy for plants.
How to store solar energy DIY
Do you want to store solar energy DIY? Lots of people are there that are keen to use solar power in order to reduce their home energy consumption. It would be amazing to know that the solar energy system with the help of a battery bank can store the electricity generated. You can choose any size of the battery bank which depends on your household energy requirement. If you want to store solar energy yourself then keep this thing in your mind that power will be drawn from the battery bank at night or when there is heavy cloud coverage and in order to have enough solar power, it is a good idea to have 15 to 20 units of the battery bank.
For a DIY solar power system, you can use a deep cycle battery which can give you long lasting and steady power flow. This battery is specially designed to deliver a constant voltage when the battery gets discharged. Installing the battery with your solar power panel, you will be able to store your solar energy by yourself.
What to do with excess solar power?
One of the most common questions concerning by most people is what happens if a solar panel generates more energy or what happens if I get excess solar power? No matter small or large a solar power system is if your solar power system produces excess solar power than you consume, then in that case you can send the power back to the utility. And by doing this, you will receive credits on your next month’s utility bills, which are known as net metering. This net metering allows you to receive credits for any energy produced by your panel which is not consumed by you. Now we expect that your concern of getting excess solar power is solved as you can send it back.
But some of you might be concerned with this that everyone can get this net metering? If you are one of those concerning this question, then it would be great to know that the net metering is now available in every state and have their own qualification for their programs. One important thing about net metering to keep in mind is that at the end of the year if you have credits leftover, then at that time, you will get the option to continue to roll the credits over to the next year. In addition to this, you will get the option of receiving a cash payment for the value of the credits. Thus, you can choose any of the options that are suitable for you.